Take action during Hunger Action Month
September 3, 2020 414 0 0
This month, we join people and organizations across the nation in fighting hunger. Locally, you can take action during Hunger Action Month by supporting our work in providing food to children living with food insecurity in Minnesota.
Why Taking Action Matters
Children throughout the world suffer from hunger, and Minnesota is no exception. We see child hunger in Minnesota not as a supply problem, but a distribution problem. Learn more about child hunger in Minnesota.
- The number of children living with food insecurity is growing: More than 200,000 children in Minnesota were living with food insecurity prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. The number of children struggling with access to food as a result of COVID-19 is expected to increase to 112,000 more children.
- More families are seeking help from hunger relief organizations: Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic in March, we’ve increased our food production by 400% to meet the skyrocketing needs in our community. We hear more stories, like this one, of people who, for the first time, are making the line to receive food for their children and families.
- Hunger has life-long impacts on children: Hunger affects more than children’s physical health. It affects their intellectual and emotional development, academic achievement, and ability to cope with social and behavioral problems.
Hunger Action Ideas
- Fundraise: Create a fundraiser and invite your family and friends to participate by donating to your fundraiser. You can tell your story of why raising funds to go towards children living with food insecurity is important for you. To make it extra special, create a fundraiser in honor of your birthday, your kid’s birthday, wedding, retirement, or any other celebration that is near and dear to your heart.
- Volunteer: Sign up to volunteer at one of our packing events at our warehouse in Roseville. You’ll help pack bags of food that contain approximately four meals of non-perishable, nutritious food that gets distributed to children and families in our community. You can participate in one of our public packing events or schedule a private packing event just for your faith community, business, organization, school youth group, etc.
- Donate Food: Bring non-perishable food items to our warehouse in Roseville. Share items from your pantry, grab a few extra items on your next grocery run, or collect items from neighbors and coworkers. Prefer to do this virtually? Browse our online shopping cart and fund food digitally. Whether you choose to donate food physically or digitally, we welcome whichever approach best suits you.
- Attend a Community Event: Support local businesses that support The Sheridan Story. From grocery round-up programs to virtual runs, when you attend events put on by the amazing organizations who’ve stepped up to support our mission, you are helping us feed kids while supporting our community overall.