Unique actions you can do for Hunger Action Month
When kids don’t have consistent access to enough food, the risk of hunger is very real. Unfortunately, that’s a reality for over 300,000 children in Minnesota. At Every Meal, we focus on fighting child hunger by filling the food gaps children face, especially on weekends, when they’re unable to access school meals. We’ve put together this list of unique actions you can do in September (and in the months to come) that support our core Weekend Meal Program and our work to ensure children have a consistent and reliable source of good food that is nutritious, delicious, and relevant.
1. MAKE A GIFT IN HONOR OF SOMEONE SPECIAL
Honor someone special by dedicating your donation to Every Meal on their behalf. This could be an extra special way to celebrate a birthday, recognize a special occasion, or simply show you care. You’ll have the option to pick an e-card or mailed card to send with a personalized message. Make sure to check “Dedicate this donation” and select your card after you make your gift.
2. VOLUNTEER TO DISTRIBUTE FOOD BAGS TO KIDS
You can have a hands-on, direct impact on children living with food insecurity by volunteering to distribute food each week at one of our partner schools throughout Minnesota. You’ll be part of a network of hundreds of volunteers placing Every Meal food bags directly and discreetly in children’s backpacks so they have food every weekend.
- Watch our Weekend Meal Program Food Distribution Volunteer Tutorial video to learn more
- Want to take the next step? Fill out our interest form and we’ll get back to you soon
- Unable to commit to this? We understand! But maybe you know someone else who’d be interested. Please share this volunteer opportunity with them!
3. BUY THE EVERY MEAL BLEND FROM DOGWOOD COFFEE
Available only in September is an Every Meal blend of coffee with Dogwood Coffee! Perfect for fall, it’s a Brazil and Ethiopia Natural combo with cherry and caramel corn notes, which Every Meal staff got to taste and pick. For every bag sold, $10 will be donated to Every Meal. Our goal for the month is to sell 368 bags of coffee, which is a reflection of the $368 it costs to provide food to one student for a school year.
- Visit one of their three locations in the Twin Cities to pick up an Every Meal bag.
- Or order an Every Meal bag on their website. Get one for your coffee-loving friend too!
4. ATTEND OUR NEXT OPEN HOUSE EVENT
Join us for an informal open house at our Roseville warehouse on October 11th from 4-5:30 p.m. to kick off and celebrate the 2023-2024 school year with us. You’ll get to hear more about the need we’re expecting this year, see the work we’re doing to get good food to nearly 12,000 kids a week throughout Minnesota, and meet the team behind it all. RSVP here and bring a friend along. 🙂
5. LEARN ABOUT OUR HUNGER ACTION MONTH PARTNER: MACMH
Minnesota Association for Children’s Mental Health (MACMH) is a nonprofit with a mission to promote positive mental health for all infants, children, adolescents and their families. This year, we’re partnering with them because the relationship between nutrition and mental health cannot be ignored. Children who don’t have access to proper nutrition, may not have the energy needed for adapting to stressors and complex social interactions, negatively affecting their mental health and ability to connect with others. Follow them on Facebook to learn more about the important work they’re doing.